As part of the Illinois Heartland System, Breese Public Library offers a wide variety of books, audiobooks, DVDs, reference books and magazines. We also offer digital resources including the The Breese Journal, the Belleville News Democrat, the St. Louis Post Dispatch, and the Cloud Library App. Additional titles beyond our inventory can be requested at any time. We are connected to approximately 520 libraries in the State of Illinois. If we do not have a title that you are looking for, we will request to have it shipped to our library at no cost.
WHO WE SERVE
At the Breese Public Library, we offer library services. Anyone who owns property in the City of Breese pays an annual library tax and is entitled to a library card.
Don’t live in Breese? That’s okay. We offer non-residents the ability to buy a library card for a similar rate to what local residents pay for their yearly library tax.
HOW TO GET A LIBRARY CARD
For local City of Breese residents, obtaining a library card is super easy! All you need to do is bring in your driver’s license and wa-la! At first, we limit check-out items to three.
For non-residents: $100 per household per year or $50 for 6 months.
- Free Wi-Fi
- Desktop computer usage
- Printing from computer or copy machine
- 25 cents per page
- 10 cents per page if bring your own paper
- Fax Machine
- $1 per page to send (cover page not included)
- 50 cents per page to receive
- Lamination Machine
- $1 per foot (three 8.5 X 11 sheets fit in a foot)
- Patrons may drop off items to be laminated for a 24-hour turn-around
- If items need to be laminated quickly, please call 20 minutes prior to arrival, so that we can turn on the laminating machine
- $1 per foot (three 8.5 X 11 sheets fit in a foot)
- Ellison Die Cut Machine
- On-site digital access the Breese Journal, Belleville News Democrat, and the St. Louis Post Dispatch
- Online Library Catalog: The ability to request books from our library or from any library in Illinois using the Share network through the Illinois Heartland System. Arrival time is approximately one week.
- Interlibrary Loan: The ability to request books from libraries out of state. Arrival time is approximately two weeks.
ITEMS TO CHECK OUT
- Adult Fiction & Non-Fiction Books
- Adult Large Print
- Adult Audiobooks
- Breese and Clinton County Historical & Reference
- Children’s Picture Books
- Children’s Early Reader Books
- Children’s and Junior Level Audiobooks
- Junior Fiction & Non-Fiction Books
- Young Adult Novels
You may request materials from our web site by clicking on the “Request a Book” icon on the font page. This will take you to our SHARE site. Here, you will log in using your library card barcode number as the username and the last four numbers of your phone number as the password. If you are having trouble with logging in, call us at 618-526-7361. You may also request materials by phone or email.
FACEBOOK AND OTHER MEDIA
Facebook is used by library staff to promote events, advertise new materials, and to connect with library culture. These same photos are also use in press releases to local newspapers such as the Breese Journal. If you or your child is attending an event and would prefer to stay out of the media, please notify the librarian on duty. We respect your privacy.
- Return items before due date
- 3 week check-out for books
- 1 week check-out for DVDs
- Items from other libraries have unique due dates set by the loaning library
- Most items can be renewed for a longer period of time, but this is contingent upon whether another patron is waiting on the “holds” list in the Share Network
- Two book drops are available for returning items: One in the entryway and one inside at the main counter
- Damaged or lost books must be replaced or paid for by patron
- The lamination machine takes 20 minutes to heat up. Please call ahead.
- No loitering in entryway.
- No eating or drinking in the library.
Wi-Fi is available on site at the Breese Public Library; ask the librarian at the circulation desk for the password. Six desktop computers are also available to patrons, but patrons must sign in before use.
The Breese Public Library requires that library patrons using electronic information networks such as the Internet do so within the guidelines of acceptable use. The following activities are unacceptable:
1. Use of electronic information networks for any purpose which results in harassment of other users.
2. Destruction of, damage to, or unauthorized alteration of the library’s computer equipment software or network security procedures.
3. Use of electronic information networks in any way which violates a Federal or State law.
4. Violation of system security.
5. Behaving in a manner that is disruptive to other users, including but not limited to overuse of computer equipment which serves to deny access to other users.
The library reserves the right to limit, refuse, and/or ban any patron from using the library equipment and computers.
Children under the age of 10 must be accompanied and directly supervised at all times by a parent or other responsible caregiver. When the safety of an unattended child is in doubt, or the parent or responsible caregiver cannot be located, library staff is authorized to call the police.
The Breese Public Library staff is committed to helping children with activities related to the library. However, library staff cannot, nor is it their responsibility to serve as babysitters, teachers, or disciplinarians. Violations of this policy are grounds for suspension of library privileges.